Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Dining room table & chairs

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

"Sonny" wrote in message
I think most dining chairs have a tad more padding, on top, than
you've described. A generous layer of cotton is typical for a first
layer, against the seat base (board), then foam, then a layer of
"polyester" (there are several kinds of finish lining/padding). *Fire
retardent polyester fiberfill (a designated industry description) is
just as inexpensive as non-fire retardent fiberfill.

I recovered 6 dining room chairs long ago. I didn't have the fabric
stretcher, but still got pretty decent, uniform, tension all around. To
get it, I placed the fabric face down on the bench, adding the already
padded seat on top, then adding 2 60# weights to the wood. The weights
compressed the padding very well, and all I had to do was gently pull the
fabric over the wood base and hit it with the stapler. My weights were
fairly large, so to get a little elbow room for the stapler, I stood them
off slightly with a piece of 6X6 I used as a wheel chock on the truck.

that makes a lot of sense. I know I was applying uneven pressure each time I
pulled the fabric. A good properly placed weight would have made it much
easier.

Sometimes the obvious escapes us.

Vic