Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Dining room table & chairs

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:13:04 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

krw" wrote:

You must have known Amish, then. Quite an interesting group.

They gave my mother a chance to practice her German when she talked to
them.

Would buy eggs and fresh garden vegetables from them.

In that area you have both the Amish and the "Beardless Amish", AKA:
Mennonites.

Sometimes the only way to tell the difference from a distance was that
the Mennonites drove automobiles.

That's one of the interesting things about the Amish. They're not
against technology, rather luxuries. They'll gladly use technology in
business (I posted the web site of the company I bought from) but will
not have the same in their house. The company I bought from was not
connected to the power grid but did have diesel generators to run the
business. ...and cash registers, calculators... OTOH, some had gas
lighting in their showrooms instead of generators. They, of course,
used trucks to deliver their product, though it wasn't theirs. I
don't know, but suspect the people hired to do their deliveries
weren't Amish. Maybe they were Mennonites. ;-)

We did see Amish in the Chapel Hill Mall in Akron, driven there in
large passenger vans. The do use automobiles, though I have no idea
what the ownership details were.