Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speculation on changes in perceived Adequate Calibers as a function of changes in Trauma Care was OT range report that very few readers will find of interest

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 01:41:57 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Was there some reason for that?

"Shoot the son of a bitch and stop him NOW" sounds like a shooting to
me.

Indeed...you left out the part where you changed "....May turn into a
shooting.....And at that point....."

You have some curious blind spots unfortunately.

I see how I may have misconstrued what you said. Rather than blame the
"badge, camo or suit" and tone of what followed, I'll own reading you
incorrectly. Upon review, I think your intent was to say that if it
is necessary to shoot, be as sure as possible that the shots will stop
the assailant. I don't dispute that. It's gospel in the military and
law enforcement communities and in the literature. Shot placement
counts more than caliber but caliber and energy are relevant.

Indeed. thats exactly what I was trying to say. I should mention that
Ive seen far far too many good shot placements that were ultimately
fatal..but didnt stop the perp until after he had done damage or killed
his opponent. Sadly but true.

Your blind spot seems to be inability to understand or accept what
I've said in several ways about why I carry if and when I carry. One
more time: I am neither a cop nor a sojer. I think it is extremely
unlikely that I shall ever need to fire my carry piece aside from
periodic practice. Its value to me is as a deterrent to dispell a
punk/bully's perception of me as easy prey. In that context, a gun's
a gun regardless of ballistics. See gray hair = easy prey. See muzzle
of gun = oh****, maybe not, nevermind.

Oh I understand exactly what you are trying to say. But its a world
view that I strongly disagree with. Ive spent significant time playing
games with and discussing the fact that the moment you HAVE to
shoot..having a weapon that is on the far side of marginal..really
doesnt help you a hell of a lot. Cops and sojers wear body armor. You
dont. Which means you have to be even more prepared to deliver a
stopping round than they do. And frankly...waving a 380 around may..may
frighten off some perps..but it wont frighten off all of them. I was a
cop for a number of years. Shrug.

I also have run in...humm.....ah.."rougher circles".... and places then
you have. Shrug..so in the past 30 yrs..Ive had to present a weapon 6
times against armed opponents...as a civilian. Because of my demeanor,
mental and physical attitude..Ive not had to fire a round (that Im
willing to discuss)...but each time..if Id not done what Id done..I or
those I was with, would have been at the least, robbed and harmed, if
not killed.

Observers have shakenly told me that I become someone else..shrug..with
facial and verbal changes that frankly..scared the **** out of them,
along with the bad guys. Broke up with a lady after we were victims of
an attempted robbery by 3 gents..and I responded to their advances. She
was more afraid of the change she saw at the moment of
confrontation..than she was of the bad guys. She of course was a
Leftwinger..extraordinary in bed..but...inexperienced in life on the
street. Nice lady..but a bit...naive.... Shrug. She was later gang
raped and she changed...I taught her to shoot..and she later killed one
of the rapists who had decided to keep her on "the string of fear". A
very good shooting too..and one she is satisfied with. She finally
married a deputy..been married to him for at least 15 yrs..range
master...chuckle...

Perhaps you must defend yourself often against combat-proficient or
drug-crazed assailants intent on your demise. I don't. I've not been
attacked with a deadly weapon in 43 years.

Which means nothing. When the time comes...come back on Usenet and tell
me all about it. With luck..it will never come. But keep in mind..that
it MAY come..and having a marginal firearm is what you will be
defending yourself with. No more nor no less than what a cop or soldier
will ultimately face at that "moment of truth"..when all the cards are
on the table, there is no "out"..and its you versus the bad guy. The
winner walking away..or getting a ride in an ambulance..the loser gets a
chalk outline.

Which is the way most actual knife fights end..the winner gets a fast
and hurried ride in an ambulance..the loser gets the chalk outline.

Been there, done that. Shrug

Just keep in mind..that if the worst happens...do you want to defend
your life or the life of another...with something that will not stop a
determined attacker, until you are crippled or dead?

Shrug...life saving decisions are sometimes hard..sometimes easy.

Make em wisely.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.