Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave[_47_] Dave[_47_] is offline

Default Freesat Box ?

about 2 years ago or whenever it was that Virgin had a fight with Sky and
stopped Sky 1 I was devasted as I could no longer watch the Simpsons. So I
dumped Virgin and got Sky, it took about 2 months before I got Sky 1 back.

Remember I did this because I could no longer watch the Simpsons?

I have never watched an episode since I last saw it on Virgin just before
they dumped Sky 1.

If I could get away with it (family would moan) I would do as Mike has done
and get rid of my TV and only watch online. That is what I do now anyway, me
upstairs watching what I want online when I watch and the family watching
what Sky pumps out.

Get rid of it.

Dave

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
the_constructor wrote on 24/12/2009 :
Is it worth getting a Freesat box and dumping Sky ?

That depends what you MUST watch or what you might miss from SKY.

We dumped it several years ago. About 3 or 4 years ago we decided sat was
the way to go for the caravan and got a basic sat receiver for that and
found it was a good decision, we got reception and lots of choice no
matter where we were, rather than the often no reception via analogue or
the Freeview.

Last year I looked at sat again for home, so we would have at least as
much choice at home as when away. Rather than a pukka Freesat system I
bought a Passion+ system which does what we need as in gets all the free
channels and can record them and pause live programs, saving to an
external HDD. It also supports multi-satellite reception via fixed dishes
or motorised ones, which have not yet made any use of.

There are many more free to view channels available on Astra, which we
have access to via the Passion, than (I think) are listed in the Freeview
systems.

The only down side is that the Passion only has one tuner, so you can only
tune one channel at one time - you cannot watch one/record another, which
I believe a pukka Freeview can do(?).

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)