Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles[_6_] Charles[_6_] is offline

Default Kenmore washer problem

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:56:06 -0800, "Charles" wrote:

I think the transmission is toast but would like some input from someone
more knowledgable than me.

When my grandson tried to wash some sneakers in the washine machine,
there
was a very loud ratchet noise coming from it. Seems one of the sneakers
wedged against the agitator and it couldn't move.
Now when it should start to agitate, it makes a couple of weak swings and
then the agitator and drum slowly starts to spin. It spins kind of slow
but
doesn't pump out any water so if the load is high the water spills out
over
the top. If I reach in I can hold the drum from spinning and then the
agitator works normal. Any ideas before I+ spend a lot of $$ ? The timer
has
had some issues before, any possibility there? Thanks for any help.

Charles

Does this have a belt? If not it is the new style that uses direct
drive. There is a coupler with 4 rubber interposers. Look for some
ground up chunks of plastic on the floor. If all of this is true, go
get a coupler kit (less than $20) Sears will have it or any appliance
parts place. Kenmore, whilrpool roper etc

This is an older one with a belt drive.

Charles