Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly fireplace

On Dec 23, 5:59*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 23, 3:34 pm, Arkadiy wrote:

On Dec 23, 4:21 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

Leave the damper open a bit longer and consider better doors.

I actually tried to leave the damper open. This doesn't seem to
affect the problem.

What is considered "better doors"? I have ones from the previous
owner, apparently from Home Depot or Lowes. I can see that they a

1) Not insulated properly during installation, and

2) Have gaps between doors and around the hinges.

Are the doors supposed to completely stop the air flow?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

My glass doors probably block at least 99% of the open frontal area *that
they close off.

I would have said 95-99% so hoffman and I are about as close as newsgroup
posters ever come to agreement.

Colbyt- Hide quoted text -

Agreed!!