Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Speculation on changes in perceived Adequate Calibers as a function of changes in Trauma Care was OT range report that very few readers will find of interest

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:56:33 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:18:10 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:28:16 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:53:47 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Any attack may turn into a shooting. No matter if you are wearing a
badge, camo or a suit. And at that point..it all breaks down to the
same in all cases...shoot the son of a bitch and stop him NOW.
No exceptions. No matter if 90% of all attacks dont turn into a
shooting...10% of them WILL..and if you figure that surviving 9 out of
10 attacks is ok odds....so be it.

So any action you perceive as an attack *will* result in a shooting.
That strategy is not acceptable or applicable to me.

I noticed that you changed May into "will" for some reason.

Was there some reason for that?

"Shoot the son of a bitch and stop him NOW" sounds like a shooting to
me.

Indeed...you left out the part where you changed "....May turn into a
shooting.....And at that point....."

You have some curious blind spots unfortunately.

I see how I may have misconstrued what you said. Rather than blame the
"badge, camo or suit" and tone of what followed, I'll own reading you
incorrectly. Upon review, I think your intent was to say that if it
is necessary to shoot, be as sure as possible that the shots will stop
the assailant. I don't dispute that. It's gospel in the military and
law enforcement communities and in the literature. Shot placement
counts more than caliber but caliber and energy are relevant.

Your blind spot seems to be inability to understand or accept what
I've said in several ways about why I carry if and when I carry. One
more time: I am neither a cop nor a sojer. I think it is extremely
unlikely that I shall ever need to fire my carry piece aside from
periodic practice. Its value to me is as a deterrent to dispell a
punk/bully's perception of me as easy prey. In that context, a gun's
a gun regardless of ballistics. See gray hair = easy prey. See muzzle
of gun = oh****, maybe not, nevermind.

Perhaps you must defend yourself often against combat-proficient or
drug-crazed assailants intent on your demise. I don't. I've not been
attacked with a deadly weapon in 43 years.

If I'm attacked by a drug-crazed armed thug that can absorb 8 rounds
of .380 to COM and face (last two at powder-stipple-on-face range) and
still cut my head off before stopping, perhaps you'll help Mary
dispose of my tools, machinery and any guns she might be willing to
part with. Don't bother hunting the perp, leave that to Mary. I
picked my pony, took my ride and checked out with gunsmoke rather than
hospice in my nostrils and morphine drip in my terminal IV. Life is
far too short to be taken seriously.

Kurt Vonnegut wrote: "we're put on Earth to fart around."
Did you also have a problem with shooting to STOP the attacker if
necessary?

Not if it's really necessary.

So you dont think you are able to judge when that comes up?

I think I am, but won't know for sure until and unless it actually
happens. I've never had to make that decision as a civilian. Doubt
that I ever will.