Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speculation on changes in perceived Adequate Calibers as a function of changes in Trauma Care was OT range report that very few readers will find of interest

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:44:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 23, 8:26*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

If you consider your personal firearm to be simply a rabbits foot,
rather than a piece of ordnance to defend your life..all the power to
you.

I take a much more realisitic approach to life and death. *Ive seen more
than my share of each over the years..and understand thats its far far
closer than we might wish.

Gunner

If you want to assure that you can defend yourself, you really need to
carry something other than a pistol. A pistol is what you carry when
you think you are not going to need a gun. The army does not issue
pistols to troops to use in battles. The police do not issue pistols
to SWAT teams.

They dont? Odd..all the swat guys here carry pistols. And M4s

So you going to get an M4? And one should note..they dont carry them
concealed, nor is their Level III body armor concealed. G

Don's approach is more realistic than yours. He is not expecting to
need a gun. Picking a pistol that he is more likely to carry, makes
sense. The odds that someone will decide to attack Don is extremely
small. The odds that they would attack Don knowing that he has some
sort of pistol is several orders of magnitude smaller.

Yet if the worst happens...he will be carrying a gun that really isnt
very effective. The Rubber Meets the Road.

If the car you have parked out front has all bald tires..thats fine
until you actually need to drive to the hospital at high speed.

Care to take the chance that car will never be driven?

I wont. Nor will I let my fire extinguishers hang on the wall with all
the propellent having leaked out. Someday I may need one. Id really
like it to work at that point.

It is sort of like the two guys walking in the woods and came across a
bear. One of them ran away. The other one stood his ground. Later
the one that stood his ground asked the other one why he ran. "Don't
you know you can't outrun a bear?" And the answer was " I don't have
to out run the bear. I just have to out run you."

Don does not have to be invincible. He just has to be a tougher
prospect for a mugging than the average person.

Dan

True indeed. He can shoot the bad guy and then have his throat cut and
the bad guy then crawls off to die.

If it works for you...shrug.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate