Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Speculation on changes in perceived Adequate Calibers as a function of changes in Trauma Care was OT range report that very few readers will find of interest

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:59:09 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:52:21 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:26:29 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:53:47 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

However...when the rubber meets the road...when its time to shoot or
die..the threat scenario is the same.

Bingo, Gunner, therein lies the key difference in our viewpoints. I
understand shoot-or-die situations, and I don't have or want any in my
civilian dotage. I regard the likelihood of my encountering a
shoot-or-die situation as far too low to tolerate the inconvenience of
packing a .45 (or even a .380) routinely.

Indeed.

However...what you want..or dont want..really really has little meaning
in the grand scheme of things.

Don't *have* or want. Very unlikely that I will encounter.
Considerably less mortal risk to me than cigarettes would be if I
still smoked.

and I will pray for you that it shall be so.

Just remember..you can only use what you brung...and if you didnt bring
enough...there are no time outs while you go home and get something
better.

I do understand that. That's exactly why I have the .380: it's
considerably more than nothing, and easy enough to carry that I
occasionally do drop it in my pocket on the way out the door. If it
isn't enough then I'll be out of luck. I'm quite comfortable with
that. I'm confident that it's more than enough for where and how I
live, at least at present. If condx here change then I'll either
modify my approach or move.

Good for you.

I take a much more realisitic approach to life and death.

Perhaps for your situation. Your approach would be unrealistic for me.
Just out of curiosity though..do you wear seat belts while

driving..and
do you have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers around the homestead?

I do indeed. However, I don't wear body armor or carry a rifle, gas
mask or first aid kit when out and about.

Yes and? Did any of those ever come up in conversation? G Or are you
just being argumentative?

The latter, of course! G

Now one never expects a traffic accident, or a fire in ones home. And
statistically..few ever happen.

Statistically speaking: the Fridley Fire Department responded to 2943
calls in 2008. There was 1 murder. I don't know how many traffic
accidents, but it's moot because use of seatbelts is required by law
in MN.