Posted to alt.home.repair
Arkadiy Arkadiy is offline

Default Smelly fireplace

Hi all,

I have a fireplace located on the outside wall of my house (the
chimney is brick). Whenever I use it, it it drafts beautifully, and
doesn't smell at all.

However, once the fire stops, and the fireplace cools down, I get an
awfull backdraft, and my house smells nasty for many days after that.

I have a top-seal damper and glass doors (although not too tight
ones). I have them open when the fire is on, and close both when the
fireplace cools down).

I browsed the web, and found out how awfull outside chimneys are, and
how they by design prone to problems similar to mine due to the stack
effect, etc. However I didn't find a lot of advice on how to correct
the issue. This kind of surprises me, since I see lots of houses with
outside chimneys (much more than with inside ones). Do all that
people have the same problem?

Should I forget about it and just stop using the fireplace?

Thanks in advance,
Arkadiy