Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Dining room table & chairs

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:32:45 -0800, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:05:33 -0600, krw wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:57:12 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

I think most dining chairs have a tad more padding, on top, than
you've described.

Our dining room chairs are all wood; no padding at all. I guess the
Amish that built them thought padding to be a luxury. ;-)

snip

Besides that, dining chairs with fabric are difficult to keep clean.
Not my style but you can always use those washable chair pads.

I make a distinction between kitchen chairs and dining chairs. Kitchen
chairs are usually a little more upright and less comfortable, hence no
padding or at best a tie on pad. As I have read, dining chairs are meant to
be sat in longer and are designed with a more relaxed angle and a padded
seat.

Funny, our "kitchen" (breakfast, actually) chairs are padded and the
formal dining room chairs not. The dining room is nice stuff where we
want to show the wood (cherry) and the kitchen stiff is cheap stuff
we've had for years (will be replaced this spring with a Bistro-height
table and chairs). I haven't decided what wood I want yet.

Of course, there are always exceptions but that's what I found in my
research. So, I opted for almost a 10 degree back angle and a padded seat.

Our dining chairs are "Royal Mission" style so have a pretty drastic
curve in the back. They fit the back very well and quite comfortable.