Posted to alt.hvac,alt.hvac.design,alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Any IP or ethernet-capable HVAC thermostats with their owninternal web-server?

On Dec 23, 8:35*am, HVAC Guy wrote:
RickH wrote:
I've looked up the IP/Ethernet thermostats available from four
different vendors, and their products don't seem to allow for
direct web-based access to the thermostats by the end-user.

Yes:

http://www.smarthome.com/30532/IP-Th...e-Sensor-Capab...

Yes, it seems that the Proliphix thermostat does have a useful internal
web server.

Too bad that it's over $300. *Quite a rip-off (2 to 3 x the price)
compared to a significantly more complicated device like an IP-webcam. *

What I'm looking for is, perhaps, not so much an internet-accessible
thermostat as much as an internet-accessible information "hub" that can
record and log stuff like temperature and furnace operation
(heat-on/heat-off), door opening and closings (by picking off the
contacts from existing alarm system), and make that info available
remotely, set e-mail alerts based on specific conditions, etc. *More
along the lines of remote property monitor (but not from the POV of
being a security system).

ISP's also generate DNS names for your home these days

What ISP's do DNS hosting for dynamically-assigned IP addresses? *And
what does it cost? *And will they do it for a residential vs business
broadband connection?

I have Comcast Business Class, not sure about residential.

I get about 20 Mb/s download and 3 Mb/s upload in my area with
Comcast, have not found anyone faster here. I guess until someone
wants to run fiber to my door, the phone companies around here wont do
that.