Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Dining room table & chairs

"Sonny" wrote in message
I think most dining chairs have a tad more padding, on top, than
you've described. A generous layer of cotton is typical for a first
layer, against the seat base (board), then foam, then a layer of
"polyester" (there are several kinds of finish lining/padding). *Fire
retardent polyester fiberfill (a designated industry description) is
just as inexpensive as non-fire retardent fiberfill.

For when you redo your seats: For the small amount of padding you
seem to have, pay close attention to the front and back corners of the
seat base, your plywood! If the wood's corners are sharp 90�, the
wood may poke through the fiberfill and sometimes, in time, through
the fabric, at those points. When you redo the seats, at the point of
having the fabric over the corners (just prior to stapling your fabric
down), feel the corners to see if they feel too sharp (use your good
judgement). If they feel too sharp, cut the tip (1/8") off the
board's corners. This will dull those sharp "poking" corners, yet
maintain a good square contour. That 1/8" removed is not going to
affect any visible or functional difference. For seats with a bit
more padding, instead of cutting the corners, a touch more padding, at
those spots, can be used to soften sharp corners. The consideration
not to use a touch more padding on your corners is because your seats
fit inside a framing..... you want to avoid adding padding into that
fitted type of framing.

I assume everyone knows, but I'll add: Once a seat is fitted to a
particular chair frame, attach a number/symbol to the seat
corresponding to its particular chair/frame number/symbol.

Sonny

Thanx, Sonny - I used sandpaper to slightly round the sharp edges about 1/8
so it should be fine. Also, I did number each seat.

Vic