Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default (Eurostar) Similar Question re Gas Supplies

"DavidM" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:36:17 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

"DavidM" wrote in message
. ..
Been reading the Eurostar thread with interest.

Similar question then ocurred about the failure of gas supplies in
Luton and Barnet. Why the hell do they think it will take until after
christmas to sort out a couple of broken pipes? Maybe there's some bit
of high tech complexity in gas pipes that escapes me.

So once pressure has been restored with gas only in the mains then every
house service has to be purged to get rid of any air nitrogen.

It is more complex than a water or electric main failing.

mark

blimey, tis indeed quite a palaver!
"I know more now than I did before"
Thanks, Mark.

Ive just googled the incidents you mention.
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Media...PressReleases/

I notice their plea for minimal electric use. Fat chance! Everyone will have
their electic heats/cookers on full to keep warm and next up will be the
electric system failing.

Looks like it is going to cost a fortune!
It gives them something to do in the freezing conditions.

mark