Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT motor oil pricing

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:06:07 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

So we just had a thread about whether or not the 3k oil change is
worthwhile. I had just changed my oil prior to that thread, at about
3500 miles, in preparation for my regular 600 mile drive.

Not too long ago I stopped buying oil by the quart, and started buying
it in big plastic jugs emblazoned:

"5 1/2 quarts, A complete oil change" or some such.

So I go to my friendly local parts store, and I see gallon jugs. The tag
on the shelf still says 5.5 quart, $14.99. But the jugs clearly say 1
gallon. Oh, thinks I, what a bother. Now I have to buy a separate quart,
too, which I did.

As I'm heading over to the register, I'm wondering what they're going to
charge me for my gallon. You guessed it, $14.99. That's a 37.5% jump, in
a time of virtually zero inflation, on a commodity whose price is stable
if not falling.

Maybe I'll go to the 5k intervals after all.

If you don't want to take the oil back, I'd at least tell the manager
that I noticed. And everythihg in your 37% sentence.