Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default OT motor oil pricing

So we just had a thread about whether or not the 3k oil change is
worthwhile. I had just changed my oil prior to that thread, at about
3500 miles, in preparation for my regular 600 mile drive.

Not too long ago I stopped buying oil by the quart, and started buying
it in big plastic jugs emblazoned:

"5 1/2 quarts, A complete oil change" or some such.

So I go to my friendly local parts store, and I see gallon jugs. The tag
on the shelf still says 5.5 quart, $14.99. But the jugs clearly say 1
gallon. Oh, thinks I, what a bother. Now I have to buy a separate quart,
too, which I did.

As I'm heading over to the register, I'm wondering what they're going to
charge me for my gallon. You guessed it, $14.99. That's a 37.5% jump, in
a time of virtually zero inflation, on a commodity whose price is stable
if not falling.

Maybe I'll go to the 5k intervals after all.