Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Chair

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Chairs, in some ways are the pinnacle of woodworking. Subtle
variations in gemetry of design can make them comfortable or not. They
require perfectly executed joinery to withstand the enormous racking
pressures they will experience when in service and the geometry of the
joinery and shaped parts can represent a real challenge.

Gustav Stickley, Sam Maloof, the Windsor chair, all legends.

-----------------

I just looked up Gustav Stickley. I wish to share the following remark of
his (from "The Craftsman") just in case you may find it an enjoyable frame
of perspective as I did.

"There are elements of intrinsic beauty in the simplification of a house
built on the log cabin idea. First, there is the bare beauty of the logs
themselves with their long lines and firm curves. Then there is the open
charm felt of the structural features which are not hidden under plaster and
ornament, but are clearly revealed, a charm felt in Japanese
architecture....The quiet rhythmic monotone of the wall of logs fills one
with the rustic peace of a secluded nook in the woods."

Now, get back to work! : )

Bill

On Dec 22, 1:53 pm, "Bill" wrote:
How many of you have a chair or stool in your shop that you built or
intend
to build one someday (it seems like it would be a satisfying project)?
Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about
the person who built it (sort of reminds me of tool boxes, but most
readers
here
probably know more about them than I do--and chairs too, for that matter).

I'm the same poster that started a thread on hammers, levels, and squares.
I guess I am drawn towards simplicity. :-) I think I would design a
simple,
functional chair, striving to avoid a result that looked like it better
belonged
in the kitchen or dining room, but more improved than a spoke-shaved
stump...
It's sort of fun to think about.

Happy holidays,
Bill