Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Engraving Brass Name Plates

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:28:59 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:14:12 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 15:56:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Well, I have the same old hassles all over again.

I cut a beautiful pocket in a block of wood. Measured it. Yep. Just
right. I tried to drop my first brass plate in to engrave it and
discovered... they vary in height and width by up 1/16 inch. Most over
sized. Sigh. Time to over cut my pocket and rig up some kind of
narrow
clamp for them at each edge.

I'm not sure about your nameplates but we machined damaged portions of
Boeing 707 trim tabs by sticking them to a vertical milling machine
table with double back tape. Of course the "tabs" were as long as the
table but the idea might apply.

Or you might use a similar system as an engraving vise, movable jaws
with pins which hold the work piece. Try
http://www.progresstool.com/pd_grs_e...h_4_pins. cfm
It should be easy to modify a conventional milling vise to add the
pins.

I just need to break down and start machining a fixture plate with screw
in
cams like the twist pins in a clamping miter box.

Do you have a diaphragm vacuum pump? Or a shop-air venturi pump?
Mill out your pocket a bit oversize to allow for rubber, make two big
holes for the vacuum, and drape a sheet of inner-tube rubber on top.

Get a decent seal and enough differential pressure built up, and It
Will Not Move. Until you turn off the pump. And if they are slightly
undersized the jig will compensate.

Don't raise the drawbridge, lower the river.

-- Bruce --

Very good suggestion

Well, I do have a brake bleeder hand pump, but I don't think that will cut
it.