Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Chair

sam wrote:
In article ,
says...
How many of you have a chair or stool in your shop that you built or intend
to build one someday (it seems like it would be a satisfying project)?
Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about
the person who built it (sort of reminds me of tool boxes, but most readers
here
probably know more about them than I do--and chairs too, for that matter).

I'm the same poster that started a thread on hammers, levels, and squares.
I guess I am drawn towards simplicity. :-) I think I would design a
simple,
functional chair, striving to avoid a result that looked like it better
belonged
in the kitchen or dining room, but more improved than a spoke-shaved
stump...
It's sort of fun to think about.

Happy holidays,
Bill

I really like these Bent and Bros captain's chairs. I bought
one for 40 bucks. It's worn, but it's in great shape. I'm
going to use it as a pattern. I figure after the fourth or fifth
chair, I'll start getting somewhat good at making them.

http://tinyurl.com/ybbw45a

Bent and Bros went out of business a few years back. They used
to make the university chairs. Someone else makes them now.

My wife came home with a truckload of chairs similar to that in the
summer. They were an exact match to something from her family that she'd
like me to repair. I've repaired things, but never a wood chair. It's a
winter project, and from what I've read, there's a bit of technique to
getting them back together properly, especially since they're broken. I
hear Lew's epoxy calling me.

Tanus