Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default VFD Braking resistors - was My Powermatic drill press with VFD

another good source is Ford Electronics in Fullerton CA - they used to have
a reasonable selection of large surplus resistors

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in
:

The large open end ones with ribbon wire - are called 'corn cob' power
resistors.

I have two smooth sided resistors - each 8 ohm (nice speaker loads)
but must be 1000 watt. I'd have to look. I also have a 1/2 ohm IIRC
corn cob. Nice to measure current flow in a circuit - voltage drop.

$33 isn't bad for that - I'm surprised myself.

If you get one, look for mounting hardware. It helps. Or you make
some.

I like the ones in aluminum housings, like these:

http://www.token.com.tw/resistor-pd/...esistor-ah.htm

They are less fragile than the ceramic ones, and tend to be a bit smaller
for a given rating. Several vendors make them, and they are available
surplus from time to time. Be careful with the power ratings, however.
They assume a certain level of air flow & heat sinking for continuous
duty. For the 200W braking resistor, you could probably get away with a
200 W rating without heroics because the load is transient.

Doug White

Give a call to http://www.halted.com/ large surplus dealer in Sunnyvale.