Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default VFD Braking resistors - was My Powermatic drill press with VFD

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:36:02 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in
:

The large open end ones with ribbon wire - are called 'corn cob' power
resistors.

I have two smooth sided resistors - each 8 ohm (nice speaker loads)
but must be 1000 watt. I'd have to look. I also have a 1/2 ohm IIRC
corn cob. Nice to measure current flow in a circuit - voltage drop.

$33 isn't bad for that - I'm surprised myself.

If you get one, look for mounting hardware. It helps. Or you make
some.

I like the ones in aluminum housings, like these:

http://www.token.com.tw/resistor-pd/...esistor-ah.htm

They are less fragile than the ceramic ones, and tend to be a bit smaller
for a given rating. Several vendors make them, and they are available
surplus from time to time. Be careful with the power ratings, however.
They assume a certain level of air flow & heat sinking for continuous
duty. For the 200W braking resistor, you could probably get away with a
200 W rating without heroics because the load is transient.

Doug White

Some other styles....

http://omniturn.com/bin/RepairParts/...components.htm

Do you know what these braking resistor units weigh? (Not shipping
weight, actual weight.)

The reason to ask is to estimate the amount of heat they can absorb
without allowing smoke to escape.

A bit pricey however.....G

But pretty.

Joe Gwinn