Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Carbon Monoxide Detector

Years ago we had a first alert and it went off, so I called the fire
department and they were there instantly, and in force, with their own
detectors that found no problem. I was talking to the Captain and said
it was a bit embarrassing to have all those trucks in the street and
asked what I could do to prevent another false reading. He suggested
getting a Nighthawk to replace the first alert.

The Nighthawk I found was the powered model (I don't know if they make a
battery model) so I bought it and plugged it in. I like it because it
gives a constant reading, even though it is negative, as that makes me
think the thing is still working. Its worked well for many years now.
Perhaps first alert has improved their product over the years, but I'm
still happy with my Nighthawk. I don't trust battery models as I travel
a lot and might not be home when the battery chirps to death, and
checking for the flashing light is too easy to forget.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Been thinking to buy myself one for Christmas. What's a
reliable brand and type and model of carbon monoxide
detector?

I'd like a battery model, I can change batteries. But,
electric outlets are not to be found. All used up with
lamps, and such.