Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default solar walkway/step lighting?

OK guys...

I have a rather dark, shaded lot. Having lighting on the walkway to
my front door, and perhaps on the steps leading up to the deck at the
back of my house, would be a very Good Thing. I'm not real impressed
with any of the solar lights available, but I have an idea. Could I
perhaps use a solar cell to charge a 12V UPS style battery (7-10 AH?)
then use a photocell to switch the 12V from the battery to a string of
regular low voltage lights whenever it gets dark? Where would I go
about finding an appropriate solar cell and charging circuit to make
this work? Are there any good LED style low voltage lights on the
market, or are they all pretty much still incandescent?

thanks

nate