Posted to uk.d-i-y
whiskeyomega whiskeyomega is offline

Default Storage Heaters

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
whiskeyomega wrote:
No there is nothing wrong with the clocks. Its just broken. We had the
same
problem with the other one we replaced. It probably isnt *costing* as
much
as he maintains but there you go.

That's puzzling. Apart from the clocks, the way electric heaters break is
they stop producing heat. If they don't produce heat they don't consume
electricity, and so get /cheaper/. If they are consuming electricity, you
really would notice if it came out as kilowatts of light or sound (think
concerts in Wembley Stadium). So it must be as heat. That heat has to go
somewhere. So unless it's going up the chimney/out the window, if the
clocks are correct the only conceivable way they could be costing you more
is if they were hotter than intended. Laws of physics.

If he's being paranoid about electricity costs, it might be worth getting
digital electricity meter (either the plugin kind or the type you wrap
around the meter tails). Cost about 20 pounds and will show you what
you're
using at the moment and the difference it makes switching appliances on
and
off. You might be surprised how little a contribution some things make.

The heater he says is broken is the one in the hallway. It seems to be over
heating as in it doesnt respond to the settings he has it on ( low!) and
just gets hot. That currently means the hallway is the warmest room in the
place - but it soon goes when the kitchen door is opened - thats the
coldest room and the wetest ( condensation). he told me I could put bubble
wrap over the door ( old wooden one ) to insulate it and keep the room
warmer. He gave me some old bubble wrap paper and I have drawing pinned it
to the door. It hasnt done a fat lot to be honest. The door is still
dripping with moisture as are the windows. He has now given me some
polystyrene sheeting ( he got around the last heater we bought as packing)
and has told me to cut it to size and put it on the door, but I dont know
how to make it stick.

I managed to get the window shut last night but its still wet in there.
Thats where I want the dehumidifier. There is no heat in the kitchen. No
heater, nothing and its a room with two outside walls. .