Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VFD Braking resistors - was My Powermatic drill press with VFD

The large open end ones with ribbon wire - are called 'corn cob' power resistors.

I have two smooth sided resistors - each 8 ohm (nice speaker loads)
but must be 1000 watt. I'd have to look. I also have a 1/2 ohm IIRC
corn cob. Nice to measure current flow in a circuit - voltage drop.

$33 isn't bad for that - I'm surprised myself.

If you get one, look for mounting hardware. It helps. Or you make some.

Martin

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
My Teco VFD specifies a 70 Ohm, 200 Watt braking resistor. I did
some quick looking on eBay and Mouser. It looks like the least
expensive ones are the open tube ones - BUT at around $33 and up. Is
there a less expensive place to buy these or a different way to search
either site that would bring up the less expensive alternatives?

RWL