Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Fireplace screen lubrication

Try a graphite based product. I don't think they are flammable and probably
won't dry out as fast in the heat.

"Not@home" wrote in message
I have a metal link screen suspended by metal rings from a steel rod right
in the front of my fireplace opening. Over the years, it has become harder
and harder to open and close the screen, although I can't see any rust. If
this wasn't a working fireplace, I would just lubricate it, but most of the
lubricants I have are shown as very flammable on the label. The only
exception is some ancient high temperature grease that is so old there are
no warnings on the label, not even about causing cancer in California.

Should is risk it? It wouldn't actually be in contact with the flames,
but about a foot away. Or is there some other lubricant that would be
better suited? Hate to burn down my house experimenting.