Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default What sort of house?

In message , whiskeyomega
writes

"Graham." wrote in message

Are you both in good health?
I ask because I am 56, my wife is 49, both working and in good health, and
the idea of us entering our dotage (which to me is what you are
contemplating)
seems a good way off yet.

What do you class as good health? He has high blood pressure but it is
controlled by medication. He claims though he has a heart condition (
which he does not!).

I was in good health until I had influenza and pneumonia last year. Now
I find it hard to do many things but that I think is because I am
always so cold as we don't have a warm house anymore. I am fine at
work, I just get tired.

I could do many things but I am afraid ( and I am conscious this is
turning into a whinge now) my husband being home stops me doing them.
he complains if I get the paint out to paint a wall even. He wont
allow anyone in to do repairs and he wont do them himself.

I have offered to pay out of my own earnings - doing overtime if required.

I never realised he would be like this. When he was at work I used to
get things done whilst he was out and tell him afterwards.

I saw that in my father in later years - obsessed with the little
problems and unable to see the bigger picture

If your house is not in a good state of repair, you are unlikely to see
full market value (especially in this economic climate)

Does hubby realise the cost of moving and selling the property ? For the
amount you are going to pay "professionals" you could probably have paid
for a significant part of the work which needs doing to make the
property more comfortable

Put your foot down and don't be bullied

--
geoff