Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L[_2_] Phil L[_2_] is offline

Default What sort of house?

Owain wrote:
On 21 Dec, 20:01, "Phil L" wrote:
OTOH if you really want to stay there, for the sake of the health and
wellbeing of both of you, you need to get proper heating(*)

and switch it on!

You can get CH that runs on bottled gas or oil, and it still
probably works out cheaper than electricity.

Average costs of space and water heating for a 2 bed house (Sutherland
tables - Scotland, May 2009)

Scottish Power White Meter storage heaters, electric rads, immersion
£1102
LPG condensing boiler £1279
Oil condensing boiler £752

This assumes LPG is 46.87p/l and oil is 41.22p/l

Owain

After reading the entire thread, it seems to me that mr whiskeyomega appears
to have given up on life to some degree and is now ready to climb into a
coffin and wait.
There is no reason at all why they couldn't budget for a bank loan of a few
thousand pounds to have CH installed, then when that's paid off, get another
loan for a DPC - within a few years the place could be like a palace, but he
sounds like he's depressed and it all seems too much for him and he wants to
hide away from it rather than confront it, hence the 'package' of the OAP
unit. I think some, if not all of his depression comes from his percieved
inability to earn a wage, but there's plenty of opportunities if he looks
around, but he sounds like he's assigned himself to the scrapheap, making it
all impossible, which has a knock-on effect of stopping him spending any
money (no heat, house falling to rack & ruin etc) - if they've got no
mortgage and £1600 a month coming in between 2 of them, they should be
living like royalty, and I doubt if they'd need a loan to do anything -
there must be quite a few grand lying around doing nothing already

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008