Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Kilpatrick Michael Kilpatrick is offline

Default Door latches/locks for unsprung door knobs

Pete Verdon wrote:
Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I'm just baffled as to why anybody would want to move the springs from
within the latch mechanism to within the handle itself.

Maybe, but it's absolutely standard. Every handle I've ever removed from
a door has had a spring in it.

Pete

Well, OK, let's distinguish between knobs and handles. At least for
handles of any substance there's more of a physical reason why you might
need a spring.

However, it doesn't take long looking at door knobs online to see that
there are a plethora of unsprung door knobs available.

Furthermore, it's very easy to find "unsprung door handles" online.

Some of the only sprung knobs seem to be those such as the (cheap) ones
the builder bought a couple of to show me. They came in pairs which are
both sprung. Together they are horribly stiff - and that's when combined
with a catch with the weakest spring possible. Obviously you notice the
stiffness more with a round knob than with a lever.

If you put one of those cheapo sprung knobs together with one of my old
unsprung brass knobs on the other side, you get something which is about
normal in terms of spring weight (and that's with the weak-springed
mortice lock that the builder fitted, not a heavily-sprung lock).

Michael