Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Pergo Questions???????????????

wrote in news:7d0183b2-f061-440d-b4c8-f49215490a82
@g12g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

On Dec 20, 4:03*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
infiniteMPG | 2009-12-20 | 12:26:13 PM wrote:

We're about to do 5 rooms of Pergo in the house and have a few
questions. *We have the first room about ready to go, did self
leveling floor coating and all cleaned. *Have the vapor barrier all
ready, too. *We have found hints and info on how to lock the panels
together and things like that, but we were wondering if there was a
good site saying how to best cut around doors and closet opening,
where to start with an entrance door (don't want the locking lip left
on the door opening and also don't want a very narrow piece in the
door opening for sure) and things like that.

Does anyone have a good link to get info on things like that?

A few suggestions:

** Measure carefully to get the planks to come out the way you want
them. There's no other solution.

** Remove the baseboard, then replace it after the floor is down. You
can skip putting on quarter-round that way.

** Consider putting an expansion joint in the middle of every doorway.
You have to have expansion joints every so far anyway.

** Undercut door jambs instead of trying to fit the planks to the
molding. Put a Pergo scrap and a layer of padding down next to the
jamb, then lay your hand saw flat on the Pergo. This spaces everything
nicely so you can slide planks under the door jamb.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

The first thing I'd do is make absolutely sure Pergo is what you want
to install in 5 rooms. Of course, everything depends on the house,
what similar houses in the area have, your future intentions, etc. I
would certainly use Pergo in certain applications, like finishing a
basement office, etc. But given all the labor and that you can get
some decent engineered or total wood products for not all that much
more, I think in many cases going with real wood makes more sense.
I've never seen anyone advertise a home for sale noting that it has
Pergo flooring.

And not sure where the OP is located but also keep in mind the floor will
be colder, especially where they are unheated below.