Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default What sort of house?

On 21 Dec, 11:32, "whiskeyomega" wrote:

We have a lot of roof insulation. *but this is limited by the fact the roof
is used as a store. Its boarded and used as a tool room. *We don't qualify
for grants for anything.

You qualify for a lot of "insulation grants" because we all do - £1 /
roll insulation for one (check the moneysavingexpert & npower web
sites for regular offers under CERT). Although you say you have "a
lot" of roof insulation, ideas of insulation levels have increased in
recent decades. Certainly my parent's wind-swept bungalow was "heavily
insulated" in the '80s after they bought it, but I regard it as very
poorly insulated today.

Looking to the future, I'd base your possible stay/move choice much
more on how isolated your location is, not on the bungalow/flat
choice. My parents' "retirement bungalow" was bought a couple of years
(age-wise) after yours and they saw 20 years of very active gardening
and pottering there. Their heating choice was coke C/H, as they didn't
have a gas connection either. Mum died a couple of years ago, Dad has
now moved into a nursing home, but the time when "sheltered
accomodation" would have been actually useful to them (given that they
already had a well-sorted bungalow in a good area, albeit slightly
isolated) was very short - maybe 6 months at most.

Sounds like your husband needs to take up gardening 8-)