Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default What sort of house?

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:38:13 +0000, wrote:
Is it bad news to have a house with septic tank and storage heaters and no
mains gas and a flat roof on an extension? Or is he being bloody silly?

We've got a septic system. Drilled well out back for water. 500gal
propane tank for the furnace. Primary heating is via electric.

Septic system probably needs emptying once every 3-4 years, and the cost
is pretty insignificant.

The well has more than adequate flow rate, and for the first time ever I
found water that "tastes nice". Means no water bills of course (but
factoring in the cost of a new well every 25 years or so, it works out
about half the price of typical main water bills)

Electric heating isn't so bad at all - it's all on a cheap-rate
load-controlled tariff, which means it works out cheaper than heating
by gas or oil anyway.

Propane furnace picks up the slack when the electric heating is off. I
don't see how it's any different to mains gas; I think it's comparable in
price. Only 'burden' is checking the tank periodically (usually once a
month during heating season) to know when to re-order (delivery company
gets upset if the tank runs completely empty)

Flat roof: we've got one on an extension (and the front porch). I suspect
they need new material laying once in a while, but for it to be easy
work. So long as the drainage is kept clear I don't think there's
anything inherently wrong with them (although I admit to preferring a
peaked roof just for the loft storage space it gives)

Anyway, not 'bad news' in those terms at all. Maybe you can get some form
of grant to sort out the windows (and/or other energy-saving stuff).

Oh, I did have storage heaters in one house once - hated them. Always
seemed to be no heat available when I actually wanted it.

cheers

Jules