Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap Andy Cap is offline

Default What sort of house?

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:35:13 GMT, Cicero wrote:

Can you realistically face the prospect of living in a little box with
Mr.Meldrew for the next 25 / 30 years?

As a 65 year old who retired 15 years ago, even now I could not contemplate a
warden supervised flat. To be absolutely frank, I'd rather be dead. If you value
being able to step outside into your own back yard for a breathe of fresh air,
then don't contemplate a flat. Although in a town, my garden also looks out over
a valley, so all I can see are the houses on the other side. Once again I
wouldn't now voluntarily give up that open view, for the back of other houses.
I think your real problem is a fundamental difference on what you want out of
life and that needs to be resolved *before* making any major decisions on your
future years. Has your husband any interests, because keeping your mind active,
even if not with DIY, is essential in maintaining a healthy outlook. I'm not
saying his negativity is his fault, but I am familiar with living with someone
who lacks optimism and it can be very soul-destroying. It needs investigating.
Hope that doesn't come across as too harsh.

Andy C