Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lino expert Lino expert is offline

Default What sort of house?

On 21 Dec, 11:38, "whiskeyomega" wrote:
"whiskeyomega" wrote in message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message
,
matthelliwell writes
On 21 Dec, 09:38, "whiskeyomega" wrote:
Finally my husband has said that we have to move house.

You haven't mentioned transport. Could it be that he feels *trapped* in
the house alone while you are out at work? Buy him a bicycle?

He has a car. I have a car. He is never trapped. *He chooses not to go
out. I am very afraid though he would row the neighbours if we had any. I
am scared he will argue with callers at home now. He has already rowed the
post man when he called with a parcel I sent for.
Fortunately no one comes here because we are off the beaten track.

I am sure a lot of the issues are because he has retired early. It was not
a choice but at least he got his pension. Had he stayed he might not have
his pension and might still have lost his job.

Lots of sensible ideas in other responses but no one has mentioned
additional insulation under the various grant schemes. Bungalows often
have huge lofts suited to the cheapest fibre insulation and you may have
uninsulated cavity walls. Contact your electricity supplier and ask for
advice.

We have a lot of roof insulation. *but this is limited by the fact the
roof is used as a store. Its boarded and used as a tool room. *We don't
qualify for grants for anything.

I am grateful for the replies by the way. *At least I know what I might be
able to do, even if getting it done might be more problematic.

I'm afraid this isn't going to be too helpful in some respects - but
speaking woman to woman, get the house done up, sell it, have your
half (I assume you went in to it on a 50/50 basis)...and run like
buggery.