Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default What sort of house?

"whiskeyomega" wrote in message ...
Finally my husband has said that we have to move house.

Currently we have a two bedroom bungalow in a very rural area . Septic tank, no mains gas and an extension ( one room) which has
a flat roof and a large garden - an acre or so, all electric which he also hates.

There is little or nothing going wrong with these things right now. We have had problems with the septic tank in the past ( well a
blocked drain but that was sorted - surely you can have blocked drains on mains drainage too?)

He says another place would be cheaper and we cant afford this one. He maintains loads of things are wrong with this house but I
don't see any of them when I look around. We have rising damp apparently but its condensation.

I don't know how much our house is worth but not a lot given its state of repair - old bathroom, ( avocado suite if you remember
those) and old kitchen and mostly old storage heaters and rather damp right now as a result of no heating. The guttering leaks at
all joints and the double glazing is so old it probably needs re doing too.

We don't have a mortgage and no real money worries to be honest.

He wants to move into town into an old peoples unit ( one bed and no garden) which would cost about £80,000. It would be
leasehold and maintenance fees are about £500 at the moment.

We would also have to have a water meter and we would still have storage heaters as they have no mains gas allowed there either -
I think that was for safety reasons for the elderly.

He is 59 and retired early recently.

I am 50 and still working.

I don't want to move. I would rather try and sort our house out. I don't have the skills for this though. I do know my neighbour
who is on a water meter pays £254 a quarter for water and there is no reason to suppose we would use less than her. I currently
pay £250 a year in rates for water ( our septic tank means we get reduced rates - we wouldn't get that with a water meter in SW
water) .

Is it bad news to have a house with septic tank and storage heaters and no mains gas and a flat roof on an extension? Or is he
being bloody silly?

Just want opinions really. Thanks.

Are you both in good health?
I ask because I am 56, my wife is 49, both working and in good health, and
the idea of us entering our dotage (which to me is what you are contemplating)
seems a good way off yet.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%