derek

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:57:07 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

Then your employer got it wrong. Even if the item was taxable as a BIK
this isn't the way the tax is deducted.

Then some pretty large companies 'got it wrong' including most, if not all
the ITV companies - and maybe also the BBC.

The Corp didn't operate that system in '71-72. We could have late cars
but they were shared and no records kept of who went where sharing
with whom. It would have been a bit of a task to divvi up the tax
liability between the one that got out at Hanger Lane, the next at
Greenford, the next at Litton Avenue, and Meself in South Harrow.

You would get a payment in your salary equal to the supposed benefit and
a simultaneous deduction - after they had used the payment for tax
calclation purposes. Unfair? Oh yes. But then it's the IR we're talking
about who make rules to suit themselves regardless.

The IR did used to negotiate with individual employers and individual
trade unions then. Maybe more so than nowadays when it's "all on the
computer".

DG