Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default favorite turning tools

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:42:30 -0600, Ed Edelenbos wrote
(in message ):

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if I had only one tool, it would be a reasonably heavy fingernail grind
bowl gouge made of decent steel. Second tool, a skew, any skew. Third
tool - small bowl gouge (1/4 inch or less). Fourth tool - parting tool.
Fifth - longer, stronger parting tool. I have a sorby texturing tool,
never use it. I had an armbrace set, got rid of it.

Tools hell. I wish I had more skill.

Ed

well, shoot... me too and likely all others here. No matter what the skill
level, there's always something wrong. I try to make a thing, and do my best.
When I decide to stop working on it and maybe sand it and even put on some
kind of finish, my dear wife will go into raptures over it, and friends and
associates will make all kind of approving noises - yet all I see are my
mistakes and where I could have or should have done something different. Now,
if I go and make another thing, and then actually DO something different like
I think I should have... well, that could be progress. And if I go a little
ways outside my comfort zone and produce something I am not repelled by...
well that could be progress. Maybe seeking progress is a little bit like
stretching, and the stretching is a little uncomfortable. If it was
comfortable, it wouldn't be stretching, it would just be yawning.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.