Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

wrote:
When RR first started using the Hydramatic they thought they needed
to "clean it up a bit" so they did some modifications to bring it up
to RR standasrds - and it wouldn't shift worth squat. Apparently they
made some parts TOO SMOOTH. From then on they just used what "the
general" supplied - just like it went into a Chevy.

I guess GM had already put in a million man hours and spent a billion
on R&D?

Something like that. They had a tranny that worked pretty good for
several years by the time RR started using them. RR had planned on
using Hydramatic technology under licence, but found GM could build
them just fine.

For a while, I think, GM vehicles in the USA used transmissions
developed by GMH ("General Motors-Holden"; GM bought the "Holden"
company and kept that name as part of the new company name; the vehicles
are simply called "Holden") in Australia. Don't recall whether it was
the Hydramatic or another one.

I also read that the Pontiac G8 was in fact a rebadged Holden Commodore
from Australia.

Perce