Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

On 2009-12-20, Jules wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:38:46 -0800, Robatoy wrote:
with Saab. He had restored a two-stroke, that thing was a riot. It

Yeah, I can believe that. I've know quite a few folk with old Saabs, and
they were pretty reasonble cars.

Despite being in a couple sports car clubs, some as early as '58 (my
parents), I've never driven or seen a Saab 2-stroke up close (3 cyl,
no less!). The only time was in USAF boot camp in TX when we were
taking a 5 min ciggy break on the drill field. Slowly, in the
distance, we heard a gawdawful din slowly approaching. As it came
closer, still unseen, the volume and horrific noise steadily
increased. It sounded like a ...what? Army tank? Old diesel semi
hauling slop from the chow hall? Old Johnny Popper with bad cylinder.
Finally, the cacophony was so overwhelming, whole marching squads came
to a halt and every one of hundreds of heads and ears were turned in
the direction of the battlefield of thundering pops and bangs.
Slowly, an old rat Saab lumbered into view, about a hundred yards
away. Couldn't have been moving at more than 10 mph, but sounded like
an artillery barrage at its height. I think, for a second, I was the
only one who realized it was that 2 cycle Saab with no muffler
whatsoever. Hilarious.

nb