Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:00:19 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 23:23:20 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:08:54 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:23:41 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:51:01 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:27:42 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Somebody wrote:
As long as we're bragging, my 1970 Ford Custom got 9mph.

'Course it had a police interceptor engine, a calibrated speedometer
up to
140, an 8-quart crankcase, and, believe it or not, a DELCO
alternator.

Police vehicle?

1970?

Delco alternator?

Very doubtful.

That was Leece-Neville business back then.

Lew

Could have been replaced with a Delco.
Except the Delco mounting brackets wouldn't fit a Ford wirhout MAJOR
reworking, and the L-N bolted right in.

Still could have been replaced. I can imagine a small town with only 2
or 3 squad cars being in a hurry to get them back in service with
whatever they could get their hands on fastest.

Which in the case of the heavy duty alternators WOULD have been the
Leece Neville - They OWNED that market in those days. The 180 amp?
delcos were scarce as hen's teeth.

My scenerio remains very possible. Who says they replaced it with a
180 amp delco? I'm saying they did what they had to, to get the car
back in service ASAP. Or, who knows? Maybe the alternator failed just
before they were going to get rid of the car, and they put in the
cheapest thing they could graft in there. Adapting brackets would be
trivial.

A friend of mine had a Military Surplus Jeep that he bought at an
auction. The alternator was totally shot. An exact replacement
military alternator was $345. The Civilian alternator he installed
cost about $40. Was it the equal of the original? I sincerely doubt
it. But it got his Jeep through inspection and on the road.

An the FACT remains, ford alternators are every bit as available,
and generally in those years cheaper than a standard Delco. Putting in
a Delco would necessitate rewiring for the regulator as well, unless
they hacked it with a "one wire" delco - which didn't exist untill 10
or 15 years ago.

Accept it - your recollection was wrong.