Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Dining room table & chairs

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
news

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Just finished my last project. Dining room table and chairs. Posted on
abpw.

Have never built a chair before. What an interesting challenge. Used
loose tenon construction and had every individual piece of wood marked.

Table is 8/4 red oak with mahogany stain to darken it a bit. Urethane
top coat. Glass is 3/8 smoked plate glass. Table is 44x60.

I really had fun building this and got to use several tools that I
haven't used much, like a spokeshave and bull nose plane.

I bought a little gadget called MortisePal and it made cutting the
mortises in the table and chairs a snap. Just set it and rout out the
mortise. Fast and accurate. For anyone who is challenged by mortise &
tenon joinery, this little jig is well worth the cost.

Vic

Very nice work Vic. How many mortises? I guess I wouldn't have wanted
to do all of those with my drill press and chisel!
Dick

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those
who don't

Thank you!

Actually, 112 mortises and 32 dowels. I shudder to think of doing them
with a drill and chisel. The router made it a snap.

Vic

I just read the info on the MortisePal. Looks pretty good. I assume you
fabricated the tenons somehow and then rounded the edges. Correct?

Dick

Yes. they do sell various sizes pemade but it was a snap making them. I just
cut some strips on the bandsaw and a few passes with a block plane to round
over the edges. Probably could use a router to round the edges but it was
really only a few passes with the plane. BTW, also used the MortisePal to
rout the dowel holes in th ends of several pieces. Made alignment a snap. As
you can tell, I REALLY like that jig - and I have no connection with the
company other than a satisfied customer.

Vic