Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT Mean while...

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:13:18 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:191220091008164969%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalders tone.ca...
In article , LDosser
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
LDosser wrote:

The Chinese passed us a couple years back. Like we were standing
still. Indians may be gaining.

Passed us in what way? Just the INCREASE in our GDP for the past five
years is greater than the ENTIRE GDP of China.

Pollution. They are now Number One

The images here are horrific:

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...ution-in-china
/

Stomach turning!! A vision of Hell.

From what I remember in high school, those pics could have been from
the USA 40 years ago. We've come a long way, baby.

Dickens never saw anything this bad.

I'll have to call "Bull****" on that one, Lobby. Dickens _lived_ it.

London's back yards were open pools of **** where everyone tossed
their chamber pot sewage every morning. It finally seeped down and
contaminated all their wells. Why do you suppose there were all those
outbreaks of cholera and everyone could drink only beer or ale?

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/perspect/london.htm
(I can't believe I'm quoting these libtards.)

http://ourwardfamily.com/victorian_london.htm
"The Victorian city of London was a city of startling contrasts. New
building and affluent development went hand in hand with horribly
overcrowded slums where people lived in the worst conditions
imaginable. The population surged during the 19th century, from about
1 million in 1800 to over 6 million a century later. This growth far
exceeded London's ability to look after the basic needs of its
citizens.

A combination of coal-fired stoves and poor sanitation made the air
heavy and foul-smelling. Immense amounts of raw sewage was dumped
straight into the Thames River. Even royals were not immune from the
stench of London - when Queen Victoria occupied Buckingham Palace her
apartments were ventilated through the common sewers, a fact that was
not disclosed until some 40 years later.

Upon this scene entered an unlikely hero, an engineer named Joseph
Bazalgette. Bazalgette was responsible for the building of over 2100
km of tunnels and pipes to divert sewage outside the city. This made a
drastic impact on the death rate, and outbreaks of cholera dropped
dramatically after Bazlgette's work was finished. For an encore,
Bazalgette was also responsible for the design of the Embankment, and
the Battersea, Hammersmith, and Albert Bridges."

http://ourwardfamily.com/children_of...0and%20disease
"Victorian children were very close to death and suffering. In the
1830s almost half the funerals in London were for children under ten
years old. Many people died from infections and diseases that we would
rarely die of today, such as measles and scarlet fever. Children often
experienced the death of a parent, brother or sister. If one of their
parents died, wealthy children were expected to go into mourning and
wear black clothing for up to a year. They may also have worn mourning
jewellery such as a bracelet of plaited hair removed from the head of
a dead relative.

Poor children were more likely to suffer from death and disease. Many
lived in dirty, crowded conditions and shared living accommodation
with other families. They often lived in homes without heat where the
only furniture was a heap of rags and straw. The lack of nutritious
food, toilet facilities and the poor quality of drinking water
resulted in serious cases of diarrhea, typhoid and other infections.
Raw sewage in the drinking water and the stench of the River Thames
also made people feel almost constantly sick. Many people could not
afford to visit a doctor or pay for medicines. Although the Great
Ormond Street Hospital for sick children was founded in 1852, most
sick children continued to be cared for at home in dirty and crowded
conditions. Babies were especially likely to become ill and up to half
of all poor children born in London died in their first year."

Do some more research, Lobby. It will make you very happy, indeed, to
live in this era vs. the grueling Victorian one. No more gruel today,
either!

--
This episode raises disturbing questions about scientific standards,
at least in highly political areas such as global warming. Still,