edfan

Default Compound Miter saw info and recommendation

(Mike O.) wrote in message . com...
I'm going to be purchasing a compound miter saw in the next several
weeks, and I'm looking for some information (this is just for use for
projects around the house, I'm not a contractor or anything).

[clipped for space only]

Even though it costs more, I'm leaning toward the Rigid one based on
the solid appearance of the unit, and it includes a floor stand.
Also, they're offering a lifetime warranty if purchased by Dec 31.

Mike O.

Mike, I honestly think you might be asking for more headache by
narrowing it down like this.

I also went that route some time back, buying at the lower end. It did
not pay off. The waste of materials, the increase in labor, the
annoyance factor, safety -- I wish I'd bought a Makita long ago. You
pay once and you're good to go 20 years.

From the very first cut, the superior tool makes enough difference to
make a difference.

Try a few saws, don't take anyone's word for it. Even at Home Depot,
they have days when they can set up tools for trial use. Cut a few
boards. (When I did that, I abandoned all thought of buying anything
less than the Makita L1013, the unique twin linear bearing was so
different in feel and comfort level, it was convincing.)

Don't forget that buying the tool is a down payment. You'd be
surprised how much expensive material you can wreck with a cheapo
tool. (And how quickly.) You need to set it up too. Sometimes that
means a new blade (maybe $50) or a whole station - think $90 to $200
for a miter saw stand that suits your way of working.

If you really don't need to own a tool - why not rent? If that pinches
the time element too much, buy a GOOD tool, keep it absolutely clean
and in good shape, use it for your big project - then sell it. If you
buy junk, it has almost no salvage value. Buy a big name brand and it
will sell for almost what you paid for it a year later.

Heck, in Ebay, it can sometimes sell over retail.