Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery?

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/20/2009 03:29 AM, David Combs wrote:
Here I am 10 miles north of NYC, and we're in the middle
of (so they say) one heck of a snowstorm.

I've been out shoveling.

Problem: Snow sticks to the shovel, maybe 2 (3?) inches of it.

Sticks so securely that you can't "jerk" it off
by thrusting the shovel out horizontally and jerking
it back, with (hopefully) the snow left hanging
in the air before THUMP hitting the ground.

Rather, have to turn it sideways, and then (not too
hard; don't want to break it!) hitting its left or
right edge against something hard (eg sidewalk, street).

QUESTION: what can I do to make it slippery enough that
the snow doesn't stick?

I've thought of ski-wax, but neither I nor my neighbors
have any.

Good ole wd-40? (Works for EVERYTHING ELSE (except maybe
for drinking))

Ideas?

(Nope, can't drive to home depot til maybe Monday (too much snow))

Thanks!

David

Had similar problem with a roof rake. Solved it by spraying Heavy Duty
Silicone on it when it's dry. Another thing that works is Plexus
plastic cleaner, protectant and polish. It's for plastic windshields
like on motorcycles but works good in this application too. Good for eye
glasses too.

I tried that (silicone, that is) yesterday on my snow shovel; it was
worn off after a couple hours of shoveling. Of course, around here,
that's usually a full season, but we got over 20" of snow within 36
hours here, and I'm still digging out. (want to get the driveway and
walk to the front door clear before the sun hits it, so I don't have to
put any salt down)

I remember living places that regularly got this much snow, but if I
still did, I'd have a snowblower! (when I *did* live there, I was not
so well off, so I didn't - and I always managed to rent the house on a
large corner lot, too. Poor planning, etc...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel