Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Generic name for USA style of mains transformer?

Phil Allison wrote in message

"N_Kook"
Phil Allison

http://www.dibao-transformer.com/Ima...ansformer-30VA.
png

I wonder how they are made.

** An R-core is wound with one continuous strip of steel - tapering at

each
end to get a round cross section. The two plastic bobbins are made as

halves
and glue together around each straight limb of the core.

There are also gear like teeth on the ends of the bobbins - allowing a
machine to spin them on the core while an operator feeds them with

wire.

Then the bobbins and wire ends are secured and an overall insulation

wrap
applied.

A steel clamping frame is finally attached to allow chassis mounting.

Clever - huh ?

Ah! its now so obvious, had me scratching my head.
I never thought of winding the bobbins while on the core, yes clever.
I'd worked out how fully enclosed toroidal transformers with solid cores
were wound, a few months back, even made a sort of m/c for doing it, but
this type had me flumoxed

On a side matter relating perhaps to their efficiency.
The one in front of me gives off various voltages and the associated DCs
are
marked on the overlay (no schematic available).
All the DC voltages , amplifier but just quiescent no load, all the

actual
DC levels are about 10 percent less than the overlay marked DC. If one

of
these C or R type cores is knocked/ abused / thermal stress/vibration

and
the closure face opens up muicroscopically, could that cause a 10

percent
drop in secondary voltages?

** Nope.

Look elsewhere for the explanation.

.... Phil

Increase of DC saturation characteristic of iron powder over time?
If so that would apply to toroidal transformers also and I've never noticed
a 10 percent drop in a toroidal