Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

On Dec 18, 8:16*pm, RickH wrote:
On Dec 18, 8:30*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

On Dec 18, 1:32*pm, RickH wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:55*am, dgk wrote:

House has 1 1/2 baths. The main one is small (11x5) and has a stall
shower and separate tub. One way or another the bathroom is going to
get redone. I wouldn't have a problem using the tub as a shower and
using the space the stall shower takes up to put in a big sink/vanity
like the Significant Other wants, but several friends say that a
separate shower is a big convenience and selling point. Apparently
many people won't consider buying a house without a stall shower.

I suppose the correct answer is to do whatever we want to do. Neither
of us is quite near an age where climibing over a tub wall is a big
challenge. Still, I was shocked at the number of people who told me
that I'd be crazy to remove a stall shower.

Why you asking here when you already have your marching orders?

She is right, take out the shower, replace the old tub with a larger
tub and multiple-head shower, and definitely put in two sinks.
Because a large vanity with only one sink is a waste, whereas a two
sink vanity is a "marriage saver" and very good for resale. *More
people demand a bathroom with two sinks, than demand a bathroom with a
stall shower. *Especially if the tub is new, big and has a multi-head
shower too thats better than a stall.
* More people demand a bathroom with two sinks, than demand a bathroom with a

stall shower. *

and you have data to support this claim?

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Take it from me, all married women want a double vanity. *And after 10
years of marriage the men wish they had a sink of their own too, and a
few square inches of space without makeup, lipstick, and other female
stuff laying all over the place. *Women will take over a sink very
quickly. *A double vanity is a no-brainer if given the choice of two
redundant places to bathe at the expense of the extra sink.

One can always install a shower door on a tub to make a fine 6 foot by
3 foot shower stall, so you have to step over, big deal. *And at one
tenth the price of making a 6x3 foot stall out of mud and tile.

Rick-

I guess Cindy and my wife didn't get the memo.

Of the several homes I've owned about 1/4 had double sink vanities.
Double vanity or not....I never wanted, needed or missed them.

btw I'm in 3x your 10 year number....my condolences wrt
"a few square inches of space without makeup, lipstick, and other
female stuff laying all over the place. Women will take over a sink
very quickly."
bummer

I enjoy & prefer a tidy space.

Addtionally I have a bathroom that has a double vanity, bathing tub &
separate shower stall. The shower stall gets daily use (2x), the tub
gets used maybe once a week and the double vanity seldom.

YMMV (as it appear to)

cheers
Bob

cheers