Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default My Powermaticdrill press with VFD

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

so, should I tell you about having a heavy blank unscrew from a wood
lathe when the decel was set too high? you can set your stuff any way
you want, I posted how I set my stuff, and why. I, for the information
of whomever said I had never used "tried electronic deceleration",
certainly have done so, on both a wood and on a metal lathe, and have
turned it off on both, because of negative results.

No arguement over that one, Each machine/situation may need differant
emergency stops setings. Personally, I have never run a machine with a
screwed on face plate or chuck. The only lathes I have run had cam locks,
and reversing motors so quick stops were not an issue.
Going back to the drill press, I see abssolutely no reason not to stop it
quickly, which is where the topic started!

Greg O

Greg - here is why it's a bad idea on a drill press - let's suppose you are
drilling away and the bit jams - it doesn't break the bit and it's pulling
on whatever you were drilling (I don't' know about you, but this does happen
to me from time to time) - if I set the stop to "coast", when I hit stop the
force stops immediately. If I set stop to "decelerate", the force continues
for the length of the deceleration time. I prefer the former.