Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's your favorite "stuck bolt" removal process?

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:45:42 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

Steve B wrote:

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
The other day, a guy asked me how to remove stuck bolts. It was a
general
question; he didn't have a specific problem at that moment.
As I started to answer him, I kept having to backtrack, explaining
that
a particular situation begets a particular range of solutions.

That got me to thinking about how pervasive this problem is to modern
man
and how uncomfortable I am when I have to go about it.

So, I put up a webpage that focuses on simply defining the problem:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/StuckFasteners.html

Right now I am in the process of reviving an old Onan 6.5KW RV-style
generator set and it has numerous stuck bolts. Some of them are steel
bolts, about 1/4-20 in size, stuck into aluminum. There is lots of
rust.
In my googling around I have found references to "Bolt Extractor
Sockets".
Have any of you folks tried them and what have your experiences been?

And, what is YOUR favorite "stuck bolt" removal process?

Pete Stanaitis

PB Blaster. If that don't work, go to plan B. Let it sit for 24 hours,
and
apply more than once if it looks like it evaporated off.

Steve

Kroil, soak time and heat.

I'd second above - apply and let soak, repeat for several days, wiggling
bolts each time - brush away loose rust, etc each time.

Smack it lightly on the head with a light hammer every couple hours
when soaking. Breaks up the rust crystals and gets the penetrant down
where it does some good.

In steel I like to just heat the bolt red hot, and then quench it a
couple times, then heat and let cool while melting a wax candle on
it.Tapping it with a hammer a few times helps at this point.

Usually brings them out . If all else fails, use the "blue point stud
extractor" very carefully to burn the bolt out of the hole.