Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Rong-fu (round column) mills

On Dec 18, 3:53*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Charles U Farley writes:
I read somewhere (HSM probably) Someone drew a
plumb line on the wall opposite the mill. *They had a laser pointer
mounted on the mill head with the laser dot pointed to the line.

This laser alignment idea is someone's ill-conceived fantasy. *You don't
get any accuracy without projecting the spot a long distance. But laser
pointer spots are big blobs over such a distance (many thousandths)

Depends on the laser, of course. One can get under .050" spot size,
and with two yards distance to wall (there should be at least one
wall that far away) that angle accuracy is 0.04 degrees.
I'd be tempted to use one of those hologram-symbol pointers, and
get all the lines in a star to match up to the wall engraving; when
it's
spread over a large viewing area, the alignment would be easier to
eyeball.