Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chrysler engines

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:51:33 -0500, Nate Nagel

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:07:55 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:38:28 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Some of the best cars I ever owned were early Mopars. I've owned 53,
57, 63, 69, 74, 76, 85, 88, and now a 2002.
A real glutton for punishment I see.

Lew

Meh? My ideal driveway for "drive it forever" cars would be filled with
50's Studebakers, 60's MoPars, and 80's VWs.

Sadly, IMHO cars hve gone downhill since the 80's in terms of durability
and user serviceability.

nate
Definitely downhill on serviceability, but thankfully they require a
lot less.

I've had vehicles where I could climb right into the engine
compartment to work on them.

These people talking about old cars being more durable must be
youngsters. In the 1950's and 1960's, a car that lasted 100k and
remained in pretty good shape was a bit rare and worth mentioning.
Nowadays, you can buy a bottom of the line Toyota Corolla and expect
that if you keep up with oil changes, it will go 200K without major
trouble - and the body will still be intact.

My dad's '67 Cutlass had about 300K miles on it when he scrapped it -
and it still drove OK, but the frame was rusted above the rear axle.
Probably due to having been used in western PA its entire life.

nate

Here in Ontario 10 years was doing VERY well for the sixties era GM
midsise and up frames.

A unibody lasted a lot better.